- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 can (28 ounces) stewed tomatoes, cut up
- 3 cups cubed peeled butternut squash
- 2 medium green peppers, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 small onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Hot cooked couscous, optional
- In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the first 10 ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours or until chicken is no longer pink. Sprinkle with parsley. Serve with couscous if desired. Yield: 5 servings.
Reviews forSquash 'n' Chicken Stew
"The best way I can describe this is to say it is boring. Edible; yes but I will not make it again. One positive note is to say the chicken was super tender; unfortunately it had very little flavor."
"This was ok. It took me longer than 15 minutes to prepare. It took a while to peel and cut the squash. I trimmed the fat off the chicken thighs (not sure if that was necessary), and that took a while. I think this recipe would be better if everything were cut the same size (1/2 inch chicken and green pepper is really small) and the spices were doubled. I would omit the water too; it came out like a soup."
"Very flavorful!! My husbands family is from Morocco, and this recipe has a Moroccan flair!!! I do recommend that you cut up the sqash before peeling."
"This was surprisingly good!The only thing I found was that I ended up with way too much liquid...probably would have been fine with just the juice from the tomatoes, or maybe an extra splash of water. A full cup was way too much."