Sprouts with Sour Cream
I never really cared for brussels sprouts, but this wonderful recipe I received from a friend changed my mind. The slightly sweet sauce turns the tender veggies into a special change-of-pace side dish. —Mary Devlin Etobicoke, Ontario
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 2 pounds fresh brussels sprouts, halved
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup sour cream
- Minced fresh parsley
- Add 1 in. of water and brussels sprouts to a saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in another saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in flour, brown sugar, salt and mustard until blended. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; boil for 1 minute. Reduce heat. Stir in sour cream; heat through.
- Drain the sprouts; place in a serving bowl. Top with sauce. Sprinkle with parsley.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 103 calories, 6g fat (4g saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 152mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Sprouts with Sour Cream in Taste of Home February/March 2001
May 20, 2013
I thought these were awesome!! LOVED the sauce! I could have eaten the whole bowl myself! YUMMY!!
Sep 20, 2010
I did not like these at all. The Lemony Brussels Sprouts (TOH) are much better.