Springtime Strawberry Bars
Warmer weather calls for a lighter dessert like these fruity bars. The recipe makes a big batch, so it's perfect for company.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
MakesAbout 3 dozen
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 3-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup slivered almonds, chopped
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 jar (12 ounces) strawberry preserves
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in lemon zest. Combine 3 cups flour, almonds, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture until mixture resembles coarse crumbs (do not over mix).
- Set aside 1 cup of dough. Press the remaining dough into a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Spread preserves to within 1/4 in. of edges. Combine the reserved dough with the remaining flour; sprinkle over preserves.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on wire rack. Cut into bars.