Springtime Spinach Salad
This crisp classic from Kathryn Anderson of Casper, Wyoming is sure to be a favorite at your next affair. And since all you need to do is mix the tangy dressing ingredients, then toss with fresh produce, you'll want to keep the recipe handy for family meals, too.—Kathryn Anderson, Casper, Wyoming
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 3 unpeeled garlic cloves
- 4 bacon strips, diced
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons ranch salad dressing mix
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups torn fresh spinach
- 1/4 cup shredded red cabbage
- 2 medium oranges, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- Sliced onion
- Pierce garlic cloves with a knife; place in a small baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20 minutes. Cool. Mash with a fork to remove pulp; discard skins and set pulp aside. In a skillet, cook bacon until crisp. Remove bacon to paper towel to drain; reserve 2 teaspoons drippings. In a bowl, whisk mayonnaise, sour cream and buttermilk. Add salad dressing mix, lemon juice, vinegar, pepper, garlic pulp and reserved bacon drippings; mix well. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. Toss spinach and cabbage in a large salad bowl. Add oranges, mushrooms and onion. Sprinkle with bacon. Drizzle with dressing or serve on the side.
Originally published as Springtime Spinach Salad in Crafting Traditions March/April 1998
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.