Springtime Salmon Salad
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, undrained
- 3 cups cut fresh asparagus (1-inch pieces)
- 1 package (5 ounces) spring mix salad greens
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 3/4 pound smoked salmon fillet, flaked
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Drain oranges, reserving 1/4 cup juice. Set oranges aside. In a small saucepan, bring 2 cups water to a boil. Add asparagus; cover and boil for 3 minutes. Drain and immediately place asparagus in ice water. Drain and pat dry.
- In a large bowl, toss the salad greens, asparagus, oranges, almonds and peas. Divide among four serving plates. Top with salmon.
- In a small bowl, whisk the dressing ingredients and reserved juice; drizzle over salads. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 393 calories, 24g fat (3g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 1029mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 6g fiber), 23g protein.
Apr 1, 2016
This is a favorite of mine. I do add all of the reserved juice to the dressing and add extra lemon to suit our tastes. Light and perfect!
Apr 10, 2013
Made this the day it arrived in my email. Well worth it. The only change I made was to use Romaine lettuce because that is all I had on hand. The rest was ready to go. Great for a light meal. The dressing is light, but flavorful. Make sure you chill the asparagus in ice water thoroughly. It is the perfect texture. Not soggy, but still firm. Can't wait to make this again with mixed greens.
Apr 8, 2013
I rarely read a recipe and want to make it right away. Or maybe I don't have all the indigence in the house. I made it for lunch today and will make it again through out the summer. The only thing I did not have was mandarin oranges but did have sweet navel oranges so sectioned one and used that. I used boneless canned salmon drained it will and flaked it. I am sure the smoked salmon does add a much deeper flavor and will try that the next time. But, excellent combinations of textures and flavors.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.