Springtime Luncheon Salad
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling
- 2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 2-1/2 cups orange juice, divided
- 2 cups sugar
- Dash salt
- 4 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 3 medium navel oranges, peeled and sectioned
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream, whipped
- CHICKEN SALAD:
- 6 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/8 teaspoon white vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream whipped
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- Orange peel strips and fresh thyme, optional
- In a large saucepan, sprinkle gelatin over 1 cup orange juice; let stand for 1 minute. Stir in sugar and salt. Cook and stir over low heat until gelatin and sugar are completely dissolved. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat.
- Stir in the orange sections, lemon juice, grated zest and remaining orange juice. Cool.
- Fold in whipped cream. Pour into a 9-cup ring mold coated with cooking spray. Chill until set.
- In a large bowl, combine chicken and celery. In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, vinegar, salt and pepper; fold in whipped cream. Fold into chicken mixture.
- Unmold gelatin onto a serving platter. Fill center with chicken salad. Sprinkle with almonds. Serve with orange peel and thyme if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 786 calories, 50g fat (19g saturated fat), 249mg cholesterol, 246mg sodium, 55g carbohydrate (50g sugars, 2g fiber), 30g protein.
Sep 16, 2010
I wasn't sure what to expect from this recipe. It seemed like an odd combination, yet I was intrigued by it. I ended up making it for a baby shower and everyone seemed to love it. I thought the gelatin was a little overly sweet (when i make it again, I'll cut down the sugar to 1-1/2 cups and see how that does). But overall I really enjoyed it...it's definitely not something that I can eat a lot of at one time.