- 2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 2-1/2 cups orange juice, divided
- 2 cups sugar
- Dash salt
- 4 egg yolks, beaten
- 3 medium navel oranges, peeled and sectioned
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 2 cups whipping cream, whipped
- CHICKEN SALAD:
- 6 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/8 teaspoon white vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup whipping cream, whipped
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- Orange peel strips and fresh thyme, optional
- In a saucepan, sprinkle gelatin over 1 cup orange juice; let stand for 1 minute. Stir in sugar and salt. Cook and stir over low heat until gelatin and sugar are completely dissolved. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat.
- Stir in orange sections, lemon juice, grated peel and remaining orange juice. Cool. Fold in whipped cream. Pour into a 9-cup ring mold coated with cooking spray. Chill until set.
- In a large bowl, combine chicken and celery. In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, vinegar, salt and pepper; fold in whipped cream. Fold into chicken mixture. Unmold gelatin onto a serving platter. fill center with chicken salad. Garnish with almonds, orange peel and thyme if desired. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Reviews forSpringtime Luncheon Salad
"I wasn't sure what to expect from this recipe. It seemed like an odd combination, yet I was intrigued by it. I ended up making it for a baby shower and everyone seemed to love it. I thought the gelatin was a little overly sweet (when i make it again, I'll cut down the sugar to 1-1/2 cups and see how that does). But overall I really enjoyed it...it's definitely not something that I can eat a lot of at one time."