Springtime Coffee Cake Recipe
I like the fresh fruit flavor in this coffee cake. The strawberries and rhubarb make a nice combination.
- 2 cups unsweetened fresh or frozen strawberries
- 1-1/2 cups diced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup cold butter or margarine
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon cold butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1. In a saucepan, combine strawberries, rhubarb and sugar; let stand for 15 minutes. Combine cornstarch and water; stir into the fruit mixture. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Cool to room temperature.
- 2. Combine flour, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, baking powder and baking soda; cut in butter until crumbly. In a small mixing bowl, beat eggs, buttermilk and extract; add to flour mixture and mix well. Spread half of the batter into a greased 9-in. square baking pan. Carefully spoon the fruit mixture on top. Spoon remaining batter over fruit mixture.
- 3. For topping, combine sugar and cinnamon; cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in walnuts. Sprinkle over batter. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted near the center comes out clean. Yield: 9-12 servings.
1 piece: 365 calories, 17g fat (8g saturated fat), 69mg cholesterol, 321mg sodium, 51g carbohydrate (35g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Reviews for Springtime Coffee Cake
© 2018 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC