Springtime Coffee Cake
I like the fresh fruit flavor in this coffee cake. The strawberries and rhubarb make a nice combination.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + standing Bake: 40 min.
- 2 cups unsweetened fresh or frozen strawberries
- 1-1/2 cups diced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon cold butter
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- In a saucepan, combine the strawberries, rhubarb and sugar; let stand for 15 minutes. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into the fruit mixture. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Cool to room temperature.
- Combine flour, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, baking powder and baking soda; cut in butter until crumbly. In a small bowl, beat eggs, buttermilk and extract; add to flour mixture and mix well. Spread half of the batter into a greased 9-in. square baking pan. Carefully spoon the fruit mixture on top. Spoon remaining batter over fruit mixture.
- For topping, combine sugar and cinnamon; cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in walnuts. Sprinkle over batter. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 365 calories, 17g fat (8g saturated fat), 69mg cholesterol, 321mg sodium, 51g carbohydrate (35g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Springtime Coffee Cake in Country Extra May 1996
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.