- 1/4 cup butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons warm water (120° to 130°), divided
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) quick-rise yeast
- 1 large egg
- 3-1/4 to 3-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Confectioners' sugar
- Berries and whipped topping, optional
- Beat butter, sugar, salt and cinnamon until crumbly. Beat in 1/2 cup water and evaporated milk. In another bowl, dissolve yeast in remaining water; add to milk mixture. Beat in egg until blended.
- Add 2 cups flour; mix until well blended. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky). Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover; refrigerate 4 hours or overnight.
- Bring dough to room temperature. On a floured surface, roll dough into a 16x12-in. rectangle. Cut into 2-in. squares. In an electric skillet or deep fryer, heat oil to 375°. Drop beignets, a few at a time, into hot oil. Fry until golden brown, about 1 minute per side. Drain on paper towels. Dust with confectioners' sugar. If desired, serve with assorted berries and whipped topping. Yield: 4 dozen.
Reviews forSpringtime Beignets & Berries
"I used the bread proof setting on my oven to help the dough rise more quickly. We sprinkled them with Mardi Gras colored sugar and enjoyed them on Fat Tuesday. So good!"