Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1/2 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet, saute onion and carrot in butter until crisp-tender. Stir in the barley; cook and stir for 1 minute. Stir in 1 cup broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook and stir until most of the liquid is absorbed.
- Add asparagus. Cook for 15-20 minutes or until barley is tender and liquid is absorbed, stirring occasionally and adding more broth as needed. Stir in marjoram and pepper; sprinkle with cheese.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 226 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 9mg cholesterol, 396mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 9g fiber), 9g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Mar 24, 2014
I did not care for this at all, very bland flavor.
Mar 4, 2009
This was very tasty and easy to prepare. I did put a lid on it for the last 20 minutes and only stirred it a few times. I just couldn't see the asparagus cooking well with it uncovered.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.