Spring Vegetable Quiche
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 45 min. + standing
- 7 large egg whites, divided
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup fat-free evaporated milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup chopped fresh asparagus
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen corn, thawed
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1/3 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 3/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- In a small bowl, whisk 1 egg white. Add rice; stir until blended. Press onto the bottom and up the sides of a 9-in. deep-dish pie plate coated with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk flour and milk until smooth. Whisk in egg and remaining egg whites. Stir in the mozzarella cheese, asparagus, corn, mushrooms, carrot, onion, parsley, basil, salt and oregano. Pour into crust; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 375° for 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 225 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 49mg cholesterol, 538mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 3g fiber), 17g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable.
Apr 24, 2011
The recipe was a bit bland, but I think this would have been helped by cooking the rice in chicken stock and adding more spices.
May 27, 2009
This recipe is NOT boring as previously stated. This recipe is wonderful! Thanks to Sandi for sending it in!
Mar 8, 2008
Very boring recipe. Needs a LOT more spice. Any suggestions?
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.