"Our family has been savoring this salad for over 75 years. It goes back to my Bavarian grandmother," reports Mari Malmquist of Hayward, Wisconsin. "With a large family to raise, she turned to the garden for inexpensive ingredients. The lightly dressed tomatoes, cucumbers and radishes are still a hit at meals and potlucks today."
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling
- 2 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 2 cups thinly sliced radishes
- 1 large cucumber, quartered, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- Sugar substitute equivalent to 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, radishes and cucumber. In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, water, sugar substitute, salt and pepper until sugar substitute is dissolved (mixture will foam up slightly). Pour over vegetable mixture; toss to coat evenly. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Serve with a slotted spoon.