Spring Pilaf with Salmon & Asparagus
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 medium sweet yellow pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2-1/2 cups cut fresh asparagus (1-inch pieces)
- 12 ounces fully cooked salmon chunks
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh chives, divided
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- Saute carrots and yellow pepper in butter in a large saucepan until crisp-tender. Add rice; cook and stir for 1 minute or until lightly toasted.
- Stir in the broth, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Stir in asparagus. Cook, uncovered, 3-4 minutes longer or until rice is tender.
- Stir in the salmon, lemon juice, 1 tablespoon chives and lemon zest; heat through. Fluff with a fork. Sprinkle with remaining chives.
Nutrition Facts2 cups: 568 calories, 21g fat (9g saturated fat), 80mg cholesterol, 1023mg sodium, 65g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 4g fiber), 27g protein.
Jun 20, 2018
I'm not sure about everyone else, but I felt this made WAY more than 4 servings! Probably more on par with 6 servings, maybe even more. The lemon flavor was so subtle, it was almost lost. Next time I will increase the lemon juice and zest. The carrots and pepper were too soft for my liking, despite them still being fairly crispy before simmering in the broth. The rice was a bit overcooked too after 20 minutes. Next time I will lower the time to 16-18 minutes and see how that affects the texture of the rice, carrots and peppers. I really loved the asparagus in this dish, it was a great addition. I used (2) 5oz cans of salmon, and that seemed like plenty for this dish. Overall I felt it was a bit heavier than I expected for a "spring" dish, but it was still quite yummy. I'd remake this again with some tweaks.
Apr 4, 2015
I gave this 4 stars based on the fact that I love all the ingredients however I would have to adjust this a bit. One serving as written would be 15 points on Weight Watchers and more than I want to spend for one dinner. Cutting the butter down or out would help greatly and perhaps reducing the rice and adding more veggies. I have lost 78 pounds and want to keep it off. Has anyone reduced this down a bit? Hats off to whoever lists the fat, carbs, fiber and protein for those of us who count points!
Jun 28, 2013
VERY GOOD! Mine didn't turn out as pretty as the photo - I normally use Jasmine or Basmati rice, so next time I'll have to cut the simmering time down as it overcooked the rice a bit.
Apr 21, 2013
Very good. It is lite and a great way to use leftover salmon.
Apr 4, 2013
Delicious! Will definitely make again!