Whenever I prepare brown rice, I fix a big batch so I have extra to make this quick dish during the week," explains Michelle Armistead of Marlboro, New Jersey. Tender lamb is tossed with summer squash, tomatoes and mushrooms.
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 pound boneless lamb, cut into cubes
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cups thinly sliced yellow summer squash
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- In a large skillet, saute lamb in oil until no longer pink; remove from the skillet with a slotted spoon. In the same skillet, stir-fry squash, mushrooms, tomatoes and onions for 2-3 minutes or until tender. Return lamb to the pan. Stir in the rice and seasonings; cook and stir until heated through. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Spring Lamb Supper in Quick Cooking March/April 2004, p10