My kids and husband can't get enough of these tempting appetizers. Sometimes I use miniature bagel halves, Melba toasts or split English muffins in place of the French baguette slices.
Recommended: 55+ Sweet and Savory Strawberry Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons plus 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1 French bread baguette (10-1/2 ounces), cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and halved
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon 2% milk
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup Manchego cheese, grated, divided
- Caviar, capers and/or paprika
- Place asparagus in an ungreased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan; drizzle with 2 teaspoons oil. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until crisp-tender, stirring occasionally.
- Brush baguette slices with remaining oil. Place on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 400° for 6-8 minutes or until toasted. Rub garlic clove over each slice; discard garlic.
- In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, pepper and salt. In a large skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add egg mixture; cook and stir until almost set. Stir in asparagus and 2 tablespoons cheese. Cook and stir until completely set.
- Spoon egg mixture over baguette slices; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Garnish with caviar, capers and/or paprika. Serve immediately. Yield: 3 dozen.
Originally published as Spring Brunch Bruschetta in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2011, p144