- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups pecan halves
- 1-1/2 cups whole unblanched almonds
- In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients; mix well. Add nuts and stir until coated. Spread evenly in a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 250° for 45 minutes or until golden brown, stirring every 15 minutes. Spread on a waxed paper-lined baking sheet to cool. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 3-1/2 cups.
Reviews forSporty Sugar-Spice Nuts
"I make these every year and they are always a hit. My daughter loves them and asks me for them at Christmas, I send bags of them to her at college. Since she doesn't care for almonds I use only pecans, and they are sooo good.To reviewer 1275, I suspect that the brown sugar you added is making your nuts sticky. I have never had trouble with them being too sticky and have always used only white sugar."
"Very good, nice flavor but the cloves might have been a little overpowering. I made a few changes, including using half brown sugar and half regular sugar and adding in a teaspoon of dried orange peel. I also substituted peanut halves for the pecans. However, I had a problem. After baking and cooling, the nuts were really sticky and clumped together. They were difficult to eat and did not look like the picture. They are very addicting and have a nice christmastime flavor, however I would like someone to tell me if the nuts are supposed to be this way. And if not, can you tell me how to prevent this please? Thanks!"
"I have made these sugar-spice nuts a number of times over the years. I always receive rave reviews when I serve them and guests ask for the recipe. I also like to give them as gifts at Christmas time."
"These take a little effort but well worth it. I make these every year at Christmas, and they are always greatly anticipated."
"This is one of my husband's absolute favorites. I like to make them for holiday gifts."