Spooky Cream Puffs
Boo! These goblins to gobble at Halloween events are sure to get grins, since our Test Kitchen cooks stuffed the puffs with the favorite pair of peanut butter and jam (plus even more treats such as whipped topping and cream cheese).
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
Makes9 cream puffs
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup seedless strawberry jam
- 2 cups whipped topping
- Additional confectioners' sugar
- 18 semisweet chocolate chips or miniature M&M's
- In a large saucepan, bring water, butter, sugar and salt to a boil. Add flour all at once and stir until a smooth ball forms. Remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes. Add 1 egg at a time, beating well after each addition. Continue beating until mixture is smooth and shiny.
- Drop by 1/3 cupfuls onto ungreased baking sheets; spread into 4x3-in. ovals. Using a knife coated with cooking spray, shape 4 triangles on a short side of each. Bake at 400° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, beat the cream cheese, peanut butter and confectioners' sugar until smooth. Add jam; mix well. Fold in whipped topping; set aside 1 tablespoon. Split cream puffs in half; remove dough from the inside. Fill with cream mixture and replace tops. Dust with confectioners' sugar. For eyes, place 2 small dots of filling on each ghost; top with chocolate chips.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 334 calories, 23g fat (13g saturated fat), 132mg cholesterol, 269mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 1g fiber), 7g protein.
Originally published as Spooky Cream Puffs in Crafting Traditions September/October 2000