VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 4-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon almond extract
- Black paste food coloring
- Orange and black M&M's
- Add New Ingredient (Tart 'n' Tinys candies)
- In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients. Combine the water, oil, vinegar and vanilla; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full.
- Bake at 350° for 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
- In a mixing bowl, cream the shortening, butter and confectioners' sugar. Stir in water and extracts. Remove 1/2 cup frosting to a small bowl; tint with black food coloring. Frost cupcakes with remaining white frosting.
- Cut a small hole in the corner of a pastry or plastic bag. Insert a small round #5 tip; fill bag with black frosting. Decorate cupcakes with black frosting and candies as desired. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Spooky Chocolate Cupcakes in Taste of Home October/November 2004, p61
Reviews forSpooky Chocolate Cupcakes
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 20, 2013
"No eggs,began cupcake"