Sponge Cake Cookies
My heart's warmed by these cookies because the recipe comes from my grandmother. No wedding, shower or holiday gathering went by without our caring matriarch or her pretty little treats.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 8 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons lemon extract
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup baking powder
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 to 4 tablespoons whole milk
- Food coloring, optional
- 4 cups sweetened shredded coconut, optional
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in extract. Combine the flour and baking powder; gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well.
- Drop by teaspoonfuls 3 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 400° for 6-8 minutes or until the edges are lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- In a small bowl, beat the butter, sugar, extract and salt until smooth. Add enough milk to achieve spreading consistency. Tint with food coloring if desired. Frost cooled cookies. Sprinkle with coconut if desired.
Editor's Note: The amount of baking powder is correct.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 120 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 37mg cholesterol, 127mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Sponge Cake Cookies in Best of Country Cookies