- 1-1/2 cups dry split peas, rinsed
- 2-1/2 quarts water
- 7 to 8 whole allspice, tied in a cheesecloth bag
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 6 large potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 6 carrots, chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 cups cubed cooked ham
- 1/2 medium head cabbage, shredded
- In a large kettle, combine peas, water, allspice, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour. Stir in potatoes, carrots, onions, ham and cabbage; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for about 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally. Discard allspice. Yield: 16-20 servings (about 5 qts.).
Reviews forSplit Pea Vegetable Soup
"So very good and healthy."
"This is a good soup. However, I always use yellow split peas, never green ones as we don't like the taste."
"Oh, my goodness! This is just incredible. I can't stop eating it!! I didn't have allspice so I improvised by using substitute spices (1/4 tsp cinnamon, 1/8 tsp nutmeg, 1/8 tsp cloves). I also used packaged cole slaw cabbage, which worked fine, but think I'll cut my own next time in order to have larger pieces. Awesome!"
"I love split pea soup of any description. In place of the ham I used sliced kielbasa and it was wonderful. This tastes wonderfully "cooked from scratch"."