Split Pea and Sausage Soup
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 7 hours
Makes6 servings (2-1/4 quarts)
- 1 pound Johnsonville® Fully Cooked Smoked Sausage Rope, sliced
- 1 medium potato, peeled and cubed
- 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup dried green split peas
- 2-1/2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1 bay leaf
- 5 cups water
- Saute the sausage, potato, carrots, celery and onion in butter in a large skillet until vegetables are crisp-tender. Add garlic and oregano; cook 2 minutes longer.
- Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Add the peas, bouillon, bay leaf and water. Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours or until peas are tender. Discard bay leaf.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 429 calories, 25g fat (11g saturated fat), 61mg cholesterol, 1267mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 10g fiber), 20g protein.
Mar 8, 2016
I didn't use the slow cooker,used a Dutch oven on very low heat. I saut?ed the veggies and sausage, and used chicken broth to keep sodium down. I did not have any , but had to take the pot away from my husband. Pea soup is his favorite.
Mar 6, 2016
This has a lovely fresh taste. I omitted the split peas because I did not want to muddy the flavour,
Jan 2, 2013
My husband and I both really liked this soup. Both of my kids were turned off by the greenish color of the broth, but after they tasted it, my super-picky 7-year-old actually said she LIKED it, and asked for more! Yea! A recipe with vegetables that she likes!!
Nov 13, 2012
I thought this was really good as did my 5 and 6 year olds. My husband only had one bowl which usually means he's not overly impressed (oh well). Next time I make it I think I will sauté only the sausage and onions-seems like doing the rest is not necessary.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.