Spit Roasted Lemon Rosemary Chicken
Pairs well with Gallo Family Vineyards Chardonnay.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 1-1/4 hours + marinating
- 8 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup kosher salt
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 1 tablespoon whole peppercorns, crushed
- 1 tablespoon whole allspice, crushed
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3-1/2 to 4 pounds)
- 2 medium lemons
- 3 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- For brine, combine the first seven ingredients in a large kettle. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until salt is dissolved. Remove from the heat. Cool to room temperature. Meanwhile, grate peel from lemons. Juice lemons and reserve juiced lemon halves; set aside.
- Remove giblets from chicken; discard. Place cold water in a 2-gal. resealable plastic bag; add chicken. Place in a roasting pan. Carefully pour cooled brine into bag. Squeeze out as much air as possible; seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate for 3-4 hours, turning several times.
- Discard brine. Rinse chicken with water; pat dry. Rub inside of chicken with 1 teaspoon rosemary and 1/8 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Place the juiced lemon halves in cavity. Skewer chicken openings, tie together.
- Place chicken on rotisserie rod on grill with a drip pan according to manufacturer's directions. Combine olive oil, lemon juice, lemon peel, remaining rosemary, salt and pepper; brush over chicken. Grill 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until chicken juices run clear.
Originally published as Split Lemon Rosemary Chicken in Taste of Home Cooking School Brand Name Cookbook Spring 2009
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.