VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/2 pound Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet onion
- 4 cans (8 ounces each) no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 3 ounces sliced turkey pepperoni
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 9 ounces uncooked whole wheat spaghetti
- 1/2 teaspoon black paste food coloring, optional
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 12 fresh mozzarella cheese pearls
- 12 slices pimiento-stuffed olives
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook beef, sausage and onion over medium heat, crumbling meat, until no longer pink, 5-7 minutes; drain.
- Stir in next six ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until thickened, 20-25 minutes. Meanwhile, cook spaghetti according to package directions, adding, if desired, 1/2 teaspoon black paste food coloring to water. Drain pasta.
- Top each serving of spaghetti with sauce, Parmesan, two cheese pearls and two olive slices to resemble eyes.
Freeze option: Do not cook or add pasta. Freeze cooled meat mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Cook spaghetti according to package directions. Place meat mixture in a large skillet; heat through, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary. Proceed as directed. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Creepy Spaghetti in Ultimate Halloween 2016, p30