Spinach-Walnut Stuffed Chicken
For just 300 calories, this hearty yet elegant chicken dish, stuffed with healthy spinach, is one you can savor. The walnut coating is a delicious bonus, because walnuts, in small amounts, are super-healthy, too. Keri Capuano - Narragansett, RI
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2-1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1/4 cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg white
- 1/4 cup ground walnuts
- In a small skillet, saute the onion, mushrooms, celery and garlic in oil until tender. Stir in spinach and cheese; remove from the heat.
- Cut a lengthwise slit through the thickest part of each chicken breast; fill with spinach mixture. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place egg white and walnuts in separate shallow bowls. Dip one side of chicken in egg white, then in walnuts.
- Place in an 11x7-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until chicken juices run clear.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 300 calories, 12g fat (3g saturated fat), 100mg cholesterol, 398mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 3g fiber), 40g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 5 lean meat, 2 fat, 1 vegetable.
Originally published as Walnut Encrusted Stuffed Chicken Breast in Healthy Cooking June/July 2009