“Not only is this simple dish nutritious and meatless, it also offers the goodness of spinach,” says Charleen Berkers of Palgrave, Ontario.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 8 ounces uncooked vermicelli
- 1 large red onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 package (10 ounces) fresh spinach, torn
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh tarragon or 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
- Cook vermicelli according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, saute onion in oil until crisp-tender. Add garlic; saute 1 minute longer. Add the spinach, lemon juice, tarragon, salt and pepper; saute for 2 minutes or until spinach is wilted.
- Drain vermicelli; toss with spinach mixture. Sprinkle with cheese.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 220 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 296mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 9g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Vermicelli and Spinach in Healthy Cooking April/May 2008