Spinach Turkey Roll Recipe
- 1 cup meatless spaghetti sauce, divided
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup soft whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1. In a bowl, combine 1/4 cup spaghetti sauce, eggs, bread crumbs, onion, garlic, basil, oregano and mustard. Crumble turkey over mixture and mix well.
- 2. On a sheet of waxed paper, pat turkey mixture into a 12x8-in. rectangle. Sprinkle with spinach and cheese. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a short side and peeling waxed paper away while rolling. Seal seam and ends. Place seam side down in a 15x10x1-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray.
- 3. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until a thermometer reads 165°. Let stand for 5 minutes before slicing. Heat remaining spaghetti sauce; serve over turkey. Yield: 6 servings.
1 each: 230 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 137mg cholesterol, 395mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 3g fiber), 20g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable.
Reviews for Spinach Turkey Roll
"Kids really like this. It is one of my quick week day meals. I put about a tablespoon of butter over the roll before cooking to keep it from getting dry."
"This is delicious! The only change I made was I used Italian bread crumbs because that was all I had."
"I think this recipe is a little dry and needs more flavor, but my husband is in love with it. I've made it again and again and tweak it each time, adding spices, etc."