Spinach Turkey Roll
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 50 min.
- 1 cup meatless spaghetti sauce, divided
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup soft whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a bowl, combine 1/4 cup spaghetti sauce, eggs, bread crumbs, onion, garlic, basil, oregano and mustard. Crumble turkey over mixture and mix well.
- On a sheet of waxed paper, pat turkey mixture into a 12x8-in. rectangle. Sprinkle with spinach and cheese. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a short side and peeling waxed paper away while rolling. Seal seam and ends. Place seam side down in a 15x10x1-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until a thermometer reads 165°. Let stand for 5 minutes before slicing. Heat remaining spaghetti sauce; serve over turkey.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 230 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 137mg cholesterol, 395mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 3g fiber), 20g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable.
Jan 15, 2013
Kids really like this. It is one of my quick week day meals. I put about a tablespoon of butter over the roll before cooking to keep it from getting dry.
Oct 17, 2012
This is delicious! The only change I made was I used Italian bread crumbs because that was all I had.
Jan 18, 2012
I think this recipe is a little dry and needs more flavor, but my husband is in love with it. I've made it again and again and tweak it each time, adding spices, etc.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.