Spinach Stuffed Zucchini
Here's a great way to put that zucchini crop to good use. Field editor Isabel Fowler of Fairbanks, Alaska stuffs the "boats" with a tasty ground beef filling.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cups cubed French bread
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 6 medium zucchini (6 to 8 inches)
- 1 cup water
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the bread cubes, spinach, parsley, tomato sauce, Parmesan cheese, egg, salt and thyme; set aside.
- Cut each zucchini in half lengthwise. Scoop out seeds, leaving a 1/4-in. shell. Spoon about 6 tablespoons beef mixture into each zucchini half.
- Place in two ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dishes. Pour 1/2 cup water into each dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover; bake 10 minutes longer or until zucchini is tender.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 242 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 75mg cholesterol, 857mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 5g fiber), 22g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Originally published as Zucchini Grande in Taste of Home June/July 2005
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.