Here's a great way to put that zucchini crop to good use. Field editor Isabel Fowler of Fairbanks, Alaska stuffs the "boats" with a tasty ground beef filling.
Recommended: 10 Easy Dinners Kids Can Help Make
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cups cubed French bread
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 6 medium zucchini (6 to 8 inches)
- 1 cup water
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the bread cubes, spinach, parsley, tomato sauce, Parmesan cheese, egg, salt and thyme; set aside.
- Cut each zucchini in half lengthwise. Scoop out seeds, leaving a 1/4-in. shell. Spoon about 6 tablespoons beef mixture into each zucchini half.
- Place in two ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dishes. Pour 1/2 cup water into each dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover; bake 10 minutes longer or until zucchini is tender. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Stuffed Zucchini Boats in Taste of Home June/July 2005, p46
Reviews forSpinach Stuffed Zucchini
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Nov. 4, 2011
"great and easy recipe.. i chop the zucchini in with the other ingredients and make burritos out of it. everyone loves it."