This tastes like a spinach and cheese quiche in a pasta shell. Grated carrot ads color to this creamy casserole.—Del Mason, Martensville, Saskatchewan
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
- 1 cup Daisy 4% cottage cheese
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon Creole or Cajun seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 36 jumbo pasta shells, cooked and drained
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2-1/4 cups whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Remove from the heat. Stir in the spinach, cottage cheese, Parmesan cheese, carrot and seasonings; mix well. Stuff into pasta shells. Arrange in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish; set aside. In a saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add milk and salt; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Pour over shells; sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until heated through. Uncover and bake 5 minutes longer or until browned.
Round out rich servings of Spinach-Stuffed Shells with a light, refreshing dessert. Put fresh sliced strawberries in small bowls; top with whipped cream. Sprinkle with toasted almonds and drizzle with chocolate syrup.