Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 4 large portobello mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 3 tablespoons chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoons grated Romano cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Remove and discard stems and gills from mushrooms. In a large skillet over medium heat, cook mushrooms in oil for 10-15 minutes or just until tender, turning once.
- In a small bowl, combine the tomatoes, spinach, onions, Romano cheese, pepper flakes and salt. Spoon into mushroom caps. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
- Place on a baking sheet lined with heavy-duty foil. Bake at 375° for 10-15 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 177 calories, 11g fat (3g saturated fat), 12mg cholesterol, 381mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 5g fiber), 10g protein.
Oct 18, 2011
So-so. Really nothing to obsess over. Won't be making this again.
Aug 30, 2010
easy and delicious!
Aug 11, 2010
This is a wonderful recipe and it's easy to prepare. I used fresh spinach that I sauteed in butter with a little minced garlic. Everyone loved these and they're very filling, too.
Mar 5, 2010
I made this recipe for myself, because I have picky eaters, who would never even try something that had the word spinach in it - my husband included. I only made two and surprisingly, my husband ate one of them (after he tasted mine). This was a delicious recipe. I will definitely make it again.
Aug 22, 2009
Hating to waste any food at all (especially in this day and age), I chopped and froze the gills and stems from this recipe for use in future stuffed mushrooom recipes and/or to add to sauces and soups. If making this recipe for dinner, use the chopped stems and gills in an omelet for breakfast along with cheese and fresh tomatoes. I've also discovered that brushing both sides of the mushrooms with olive oil, they can be made up and done on the grill. Delicious!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.