Spinach-Stuffed Chicken Parmesan
Every time I buy a loaf of bread, I use the heels to make bread crumbs. Just pop them in the toasters and crush them into a labeled baggie. That way I always have them on hand for quick recipes like this. —Kellie Foglio, Salem, Wisconsin
- 4 cups fresh spinach
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1/2 cup dry whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°. In a large skillet, cook and stir spinach and garlic in oil just until wilted. Drain. Stir in 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper.
- 2. Pound chicken breasts with a meat mallet to 1/4-in. thickness. Spread each with 1 tablespoon spinach mixture. Fold chicken in half, enclosing filling; secure with toothpicks.
- 3. Place bread crumbs and egg in separate shallow bowls. Dip chicken in egg, then roll in crumbs to coat. Place seam side down in an 8-in. square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, 20 minutes.
- 4. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine tomato sauce, basil and oregano. Pour over chicken. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese and remaining Parmesan cheese. Bake, uncovered, 10-15 minutes longer or until a thermometer reads 165°. Discard toothpicks before serving.
1 stuffed chicken breast half with 1/2 cup sauce: 281 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated fat), 104mg cholesterol, 432mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 2g fiber), 31g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1 starch, 1/2 fat.
© 2019 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC