Spinach Spirals with Mushroom Sauce
I never thought I liked spinach until I tried these pretty spirals topped with a creamy mushroom sauce! It is a delicious dish to serve at a festive gathering.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 10 min.
- 3/4 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 2 tablespoons sherry or additional chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- SPINACH ROLL:
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 3 packages (10 ounces each) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet, saute mushrooms in butter for 2-3 minutes. Stir in flour until blended; cook 2-3 minutes longer or until liquid is absorbed. Gradually stir in broth and cream. Bring to a boil. Remove from the heat; stir in the sherry or additional broth, mustard and lemon juice. Cool for 15 minutes.
- Grease and line a 15x10x1-in. baking pan with parchment paper; grease the paper. Sprinkle with bread crumbs; set aside. In a large bowl, combine spinach, butter, salt, pepper, nutmeg and egg yolks. In a small bowl, beat egg whites on high speed until stiff peaks form. Gradually fold into spinach mixture. Gently spoon over bread crumbs; press down lightly. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until center springs back when lightly touched. Cover with a piece of greased foil; immediately invert pan onto foil. Gently peel away parchment paper.
- Spread 1 cup mushroom sauce over spinach mixture to within 1 in. of edges. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a short side and peeling foil away while rolling. Cut into slices. Reheat remaining mushroom sauce; serve with spinach spirals.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 184 calories, 14g fat (8g saturated fat), 108mg cholesterol, 353mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Spinach Spirals with Mushroom Sauce in Country Woman Christmas 2002