Spinach Souffle Dip
My mother received a copy of this recipe from a 90-year-old friend who got the recipe from a sharecropper who worked in the kitchen at harvesttime. This dip has been part of my Christmas for about 30 years, and I always keep the recipe handy—everyone asks for it! —Nancy Needy, Spartanburg, South Carolina
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 slices white bread, cubed
- 1 teaspoon butter, melted
- Dash garlic salt
- Dash cayenne pepper
- Assorted crackers
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a small saucepan, bring water and sugar to a boil. Add spinach; cover and boil 10 minutes. Drain spinach; squeeze dry.
- Combine spinach, soup, cheese and egg. Transfer to a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. In a bowl, mix bread cubes, butter, garlic salt and cayenne. Sprinkle over spinach. Bake, uncovered, until bread cubes are golden brown and spinach mixture is heated through, about 30 minutes. Serve with crackers.
Originally published as Spinach Soufflé Dip in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2017
Mar 19, 2018
I made this for a Dine Around this weekend. It just didn't have any flavor at all. It received no comments and I brought most of it home. I think maybe it just had too much spinach in it in relation to the rest of the ingredients.