Spinach Sole Roll-Ups
“This is an unusual but delicious combination of ingredients,” says Dixie Terry of Goreville, Illinois. “For a great company meal, I serve it with a chilled green bean salad and sliced French bread that's been spread with butter and dried basil, then baked. A strawberry ice cream pie makes a delicious dessert.”
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen leaf spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1-1/4 pounds sole fillets
- Lemon-pepper seasoning
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes, undrained
- In a small bowl, combine the spinach, onions and sour cream. Spread into an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.
- Cut sole fillets into 6-in. x 2-in. strips; carefully roll up and secure with toothpicks. Place over spinach mixture. Sprinkle with lemon-pepper. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork.
- In a saucepan, combine cornstarch and water until smooth. Gradually add tomatoes. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Discard toothpicks from roll-ups. Spoon tomato sauce over roll-ups and spinach mixture.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 213 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 75mg cholesterol, 388mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 3g fiber), 31g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch.
Originally published as Fillet of Sole with Spinach and Tomatoes in Quick Cooking September/October 2005