Spinach Skillet Bake
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese or part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Biscuits, optional
- In a 10-in. cast-iron or other ovenproof skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the spinach, mushrooms, garlic salt and basil. Cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- In a saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in the flour and salt until smooth. Gradually add milk. bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in cheese. Pour over meat mixture; mix well. Reduce heat; cook, covered, until heated through. If desired, serve with biscuits.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 351 calories, 23g fat (13g saturated fat), 85mg cholesterol, 872mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 23g protein.
Jul 9, 2018
Calls for 20 minutes bake time...what
Oct 1, 2015
I used fresh spinach for this recipe. It was simple and tasty. An easy recipe for a work night. Next time I may add additional seasoning like extra garlic and cayenne pepper for a kick.
Apr 16, 2015
Quick to make and delicious! If you don't mind spinach, it is a delightful and filling meal!
Mar 14, 2015
Sep 11, 2009
Yummy! Thaw the spinach first.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.