- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese or part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Biscuits, optional
- In a 10-in. cast-iron or other ovenproof skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the spinach, mushrooms, garlic salt and basil. Cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- In a saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in the flour and salt until smooth. Gradually add milk. bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in cheese. Pour over meat mixture; mix well. Reduce heat; cook, covered, until heated through. If desired, serve with biscuits. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Reviews forSpinach Skillet Bake
"I used fresh spinach for this recipe. It was simple and tasty. An easy recipe for a work night. Next time I may add additional seasoning like extra garlic and cayenne pepper for a kick."
"quick to make and delicious! If you don't mind spinach, it is a delightful and filling meal!"
"Yummy! Thaw the spinach first."