Spinach-Sausage Egg Bake
"I always cook up a storm during the holidays," says Barbara Nowakowski of North Tonawanda, New York. Spinach and red peppers give festive Christmas color to her satisfying bake that boasts Italian sausage, lots of cheese and a short prep time.
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 jar (7 ounces) roasted red peppers, drained and chopped, divided
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 large eggs
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup shredded provolone cheese
- 1. In a large skillet, cook sausage and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Transfer to a greased 3-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with half of the red peppers; top with spinach.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the flour, Parmesan cheese, basil and salt. Whisk eggs and milk; stir into flour mixture until blended. Pour over spinach.
- 3. Bake, uncovered, at 425° for 15-20 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Top with provolone cheese and remaining red peppers. Bake 3-5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Jan 25, 2019I've been making this for years and we love it. I have the exact recipe in a 1990 edition of All New Brunch Cookbook by Pillsbury. It's one of the paperback cookbooks. The recipe is called Spinach Sausage Brunch Casserole.
Mar 27, 2010
This was a hit at my Christmas brunch. Easy and yummy.
© 2019 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC