Spinach Salad with Red Potatoes
"My overflowing recipe collection includes many tried-and-true items like this lovely salad," relates field editor Mary Houchin of Swansea, Illinois. "It's hearty and flavorful."
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 package (10 ounces) fresh spinach, torn
- 3 small red potatoes, cooked and diced
- 2 hard-boiled large eggs, chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 bacon strips, diced
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup apple juice
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- Sugar substitute equivalent to 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a salad bowl, combine spinach, potatoes, eggs and mushrooms.
- In a skillet, cook bacon until crisp. Remove bacon with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. In the drippings, saute onion until tender. Combine cornstarch, apple juice, vinegar, sweetener and pepper until smooth; stir into skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until slightly thickened and bubbly.
- Pour over spinach mixture. Add bacon and toss. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 60 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 56mg cholesterol, 109mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 meat.
Originally published as Spinach Salad with Red Potatoes in Taste of Home October/November 1999
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.