Spinach Salad with Pears & Candied Pecans
A tasty combination of pears, blue cheese and spinach make this salad a standout. The sugared pecans add a nice crunch and a bit of sweetness. If you like poppy seeds, feel free to add some to the vinaigrette.—Tamara Stimpson, Zephyr, Ontario
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 cup pecan halves
- 2/3 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 packages (6 ounces each) fresh baby spinach
- 2 medium pears, peeled and cubed
- 3/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
- In a small heavy skillet, melt butter. Add brown sugar; cook and stir over medium heat until dissolved. Add pecans; cook for 3-5 minutes or until toasted, stirring frequently. Spread onto foil to cool.
- In a small bowl, whisk the oil, sugar, lemon juice, onion and salt; set aside. Just before serving, in a large salad bowl, combine the spinach, pears, cheese and candied pecans. Drizzle with dressing and toss to coat.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 281 calories, 22g fat (4g saturated fat), 9mg cholesterol, 345mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Baby Spinach Salad with Candied Pecans and Blue Cheese in Taste of Home Cookbook Contest 2010/2011
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.