Spinach Salad with Dates
From Woodruff, Utah, Donna Higbee suggests, "Try this unusual salad that has dates as a sweet surprise."
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup cider or red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons diced onion
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 10 cups torn fresh spinach
- 3 cups torn iceberg lettuce
- 1/2 pound mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup 4% cottage cheese
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1/2 large red onion, sliced
- 2 hard-boiled large eggs, sliced
- Combine the first seven ingredients in a blender; cover and process for 30 seconds. Pour into a jar with a tight-fitting lid; chill for 2-3 hours. In a large bowl, toss remaining ingredients. Shake dressing; pour over salad.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 161 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 41mg cholesterol, 191mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein.
Originally published as Spinach Salad with Dates in Taste of Home December/January 1998