This healthy, leafy salad is accented with bacon, hard-cooked eggs, bean sprouts, water chestnuts and an easy homemade dressing. It was a hit when I served it at the National Spinach Conference last year.
Recommended: 23 Recipes That Use Up Leftover Hard-Boiled Eggs
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup white vinegar
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 pound fresh baby spinach
- 1 can (14 ounces) canned bean sprouts, drained
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 2 hard cooked eggs, sliced
- 1/4 cup real bacon bits
- In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine the sugar, vinegar, ketchup, oil and Worcestershire sauce; shake well. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
- In a large bowl, combine the spinach, bean sprouts, water chestnuts, onions and eggs. Just before serving, shake dressing and pour over salad; toss to coat. Sprinkle with bacon. Serve immediately. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Spinach Salad in Country Woman July/August 2006