Spinach Rice Casserole
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 2 cups fat-free cottage cheese
- 2 cups cooked instant brown rice
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons sunflower kernels
- In a skillet that has been coated with cooking spray, saute mushrooms, onion and garlic until tender. Add spinach. In a large bowl, combine the flour and egg substitute until smooth. Stir in cottage cheese, rice, 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese, thyme, pepper and mushroom mixture; mix well. Transfer to an 11x7-in. baking dish that has been coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with sunflower kernels and remaining Parmesan cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 97 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 6mg cholesterol, 175mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 8g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 meat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 22, 2014
This was certainly an interesting combination... The flavor was okay, but we found it a bit dry. Also, neither my husband or myself are huge fans of brown rice. It always seems so chewy and never seems to cook through the whole way. I probably won't make this again. If you enjoy brown rice, you might like this a lot. For us, it was just "okay".