Spinach Rice Casserole
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 2 cups fat-free cottage cheese
- 2 cups cooked instant brown rice
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons sunflower kernels
- In a skillet that has been coated with cooking spray, saute mushrooms, onion and garlic until tender. Add spinach. In a large bowl, combine the flour and egg substitute until smooth. Stir in cottage cheese, rice, 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese, thyme, pepper and mushroom mixture; mix well. Transfer to an 11x7-in. baking dish that has been coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with sunflower kernels and remaining Parmesan cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 97 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 6mg cholesterol, 175mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 8g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 meat.
Jan 22, 2014
This was certainly an interesting combination... The flavor was okay, but we found it a bit dry. Also, neither my husband or myself are huge fans of brown rice. It always seems so chewy and never seems to cook through the whole way. I probably won't make this again. If you enjoy brown rice, you might like this a lot. For us, it was just "okay".