- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- Egg substitute equivalent to 1 egg
- 2 cups low-fat cottage cheese
- 2 cups cooked instant brown rice
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons sunflower kernels
- In a nonstick skillet that has been coated with cooking spray, saute mushrooms, onion and garlic until tender. Add spinach. In a large bowl, combine the flour and egg substitute until smooth. Stir in cottage cheese, rice, 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese, thyme, pepper and mushroom mixture; mix well. Transfer to an 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish that has been coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with sunflower kernels and remaining Parmesan cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews forSpinach Rice Casserole
"This was certainly an interesting combination... The flavor was okay, but we found it a bit dry. Also, neither my husband or myself are huge fans of brown rice. It always seems so chewy and never seems to cook through the whole way. I probably won't make this again. If you enjoy brown rice, you might like this a lot. For us, it was just "okay"."