- 5 cups thinly sliced red potatoes (about 7 large)
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped fresh spinach
- 1 tablespoon diced pimientos
- 4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- In a 2-qt. microwave-safe dish, combine potatoes and water. Cover and microwave on high for 8-9 minutes or until potatoes are tender, stirring twice. Drain; set potatoes aside. In a large microwave-safe bowl, heat butter on high until melted, about 30 seconds. Add onion. Microwave, uncovered, for 1-2 minutes or until tender, stirring once. Whisk in flour until blended. Gradually stir in the milk. Cook, uncovered, on high for 2-1/2 minutes; stir. Cook 3-4 minutes longer, stirring every minute, or until sauce is thickened and bubbly. Stir in cheese and salt. Pour over potatoes. Add spinach and pimientos; mix well. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 2-3 minutes or until heated through, stirring once. Sprinkle with bacon. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forSpinach Potatoes Au Gratin
"As with all TOH recipes, this dish is sure a keeper. Am wondering, though, if a 10 ounce package frozen chopped spinach could be used in place of fresh. Thank you for all replies."
"I probably did not use enough potatoes as it was a tad runny. However, the combination of ingredients makes for a tasty side dish."
"We love spinach and potatoes so this hit the spot. It is pretty and quick to make in the microwave and the flavor makes this a keeper. It would go with anything but tonight it is going with steak."