I came across this recipe when I lived and worked in New Orleans, where po’boys are very popular. This meatless version featuring spinach and cheese can be served as an appetizer or sandwich, or try it as a side dish with a pasta casserole.
Recommended: 57 Superfood Spinach Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 loaves (8 ounces each) French bread
- 1 cup butter, softened, divided
- 3/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1 package (10 ounces) fresh spinach, trimmed and coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Cut each loaf of bread in half lengthwise. Spread cut sides with 1/2 cup butter; set aside. In a large skillet, cook onions in remaining butter for 4-5 minutes or until tender. Add the spinach, garlic powder and hot pepper sauce; cook and stir for 3 minutes or until spinach is tender.
- Spread spinach mixture over the bottom halves of bread. Sprinkle with cheeses; replace bread tops. Wrap each loaf in foil; place on a baking sheet. Bake at 375° for 20 minutes. Carefully open foil; bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Cut into slices. Yield: 12-16 slices.
Originally published as Spinach Po'boys in Country Extra November 2005, p51
Reviews forSpinach Po'boys
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review