Spinach Pasta Salad
There's real festive flair in this recipe. The pasta that Kay Odegard of Chicago, Illinois adds gives her spinach salad a heartiness most others lack—something she says folks in her neighborhood appreciate.—Kay Odegard, Chicago, Illinois
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 15 min.
- 1 package (7 ounces) macaroni
- 1 package (10 ounces) fresh spinach, torn
- 12 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium red onion, sliced
- 6 bacon strips, chopped
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain and cool. In a large bowl, combine macaroni, spinach, mushrooms and onion; set aside. In a medium skillet, cook bacon until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon to paper towels; discard all but 2 tablespoons of drippings. In a small bowl, combine cornstarch, sugar, salt and pepper; whisk into drippings. stir in mayonnaise; gradually mix in water and vinegar. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly; boil for 1 minute. Pour over salad and toss well. Sprinkle with bacon. Serve immediately or refrigerate.
Originally published as Spinach Pasta Salad in Crafting Traditions July/August 1995
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.