Spinach ‘n’ Basil-Stuffed Tenderloins
This recipe makes the most delicious stuffed pork tenderloin ever! The pork is always tender and the grilling it makes it easy.—Waukesha Area Technical College, , Waukesha, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Grill: 30 min.
- Grilling plank
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced garlic, divided
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup minced fresh basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 2 pork tenderloins (1 pound each)
- 2 teaspoons fennel seed, crushed
- Soak grilling plank according to package directions. In a small skillet, saute 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic in 1 tablespoon oil until tender. Transfer to a large bowl. Stir in the spinach, egg, basil, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper; set aside.
- Make a lengthwise slit down the center of each tenderloin to within 1/2 in. of bottom. Open tenderloins so they lay flat; sprinkle with remaining salt and pepper. Spread stuffing down the center of each tenderloin. Close each tenderloin; tie at 1-1/2-in. intervals with kitchen string.
- In a small bowl, combine fennel and remaining garlic and oil. Reserve 1 tablespoon for basting. Brush remaining mixture over tenderloins.
- Place plank on grill over direct medium heat. Cover and heat until plank creates a light to medium smoke and begins to crackle, about 3 minutes.(This indicates the plank is ready.) Place tenderloins on top of the plank. Grill, covered, over medium heat for 28-30 minutes or until a thermometer inserted in stuffing reads 160°, brushing occasionally with reserved fennel mixture. Remove from the plank and let stand for 5 minutes before slicing.