Spinach Meatball Subs
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 2 large fresh mushrooms, quartered
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 egg whites
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 jar (14 ounces) marinara or spaghetti sauce
- 6 Italian rolls or submarine buns, split
- 6 tablespoons shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a food processor, combine the first six ingredients; cover and process until blended. Add the egg whites, spinach and Parmesan cheese; cover and process until blended. Transfer to a large bowl; crumble beef over mixture and mix well.
- Shape into 1-1/2-in. balls. Place meatballs on a greased rack in a shallow pan. Bake at 400° for 10-13 minutes or until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Place the marinara sauce in a large saucepan; add meatballs. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Spoon meatballs and sauce onto rolls. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Broil for 5-8 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 355 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 53mg cholesterol, 769mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 4g fiber), 27g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat, 2 vegetable.
May 17, 2010
I think there was too much spinach in these; it overpowered the meat flavor.
Jan 12, 2010
the whole family loved this recipe. we broiled provolone cheese over the top. we loved the heathy spin on it
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.